Thursday, July 19, 2007

Tupelo Here We Come...

OK! It's official! We're going to Memphis via Tupelo! I made the room reservation today! Once we get to Tupelo we're meeting a couple of friends and driving to Tupelo to visit the birthplace of our favorite guy!! I haven't been there since the 80's so it's almost gonna be like my first time with all the changes that have occurred! I'm taking my Jerry Hopkins book (did this when I was 14). It tells of all the people and places to visit. The first time we went we looked up some people that knew Elvis as a kid - which made the trip really special! It was my mom, my grandmother and my 2 sisters. We met Gladys' best friend Faye Harris. She invited us in and we sat there and drank iced tea and she told us Elvis stories! She was a real sweetheart! Her and my grandmother hit it off and they corresponded by mail for several years! I'm not sure what happened to those letters but I sure would like to find one. I'll see if I can find her picture and get it posted here before I go to Memphis!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cant wait to get there, Gail! Im so excited! Glad you started this blog....gonna be fun to keep up and to post too!

Now... how do we post pics on here?

Gail said...

we'll figure it out!! can't wait - gonna have a blast!

Annie said...

What a great story! Would be wonderful if you could find those letters... but at least you have the stories and memories. I'm headed to Elvis Week too (14th-17th) hoping to post a videoblog here..(just can't keep myself from documenting it-- been going since 2000 and including footage in a documentary film
The Faithful

Thanks for keeping us all posted, and hope we see each other at Graceland!

Gail said...

Hey Annie,
We'll definitely have to get together in Memphis!! Feel free to post pictures, videos, anything about Elvis Week here.